Pennsylvania Adoption Attorney
If you are interested in a private adoption, there are many steps that are necessary, and most counties require the assistance of a lawyer. At Jay H. Ginsburg, P.C., our practice revolves around children, and we are committed to changing history one child at a time.
Free initial consultation | Contact us | Call 610-277-1999
We work with families throughout the entire adoption process to ensure every step is completed correctly. We will provide referrals for home studies and applications for necessary clearances. When necessary, we accomplish termination of the parental rights of one or both parents, as the situation requires. Following termination, if applicable, we will work with you to finalize the adoption and obtain your child's new birth certificate which pick up the adoptive parents' names.
Various clearances are required for all household members over the age of 18. Additionally, it should be noted that counties require state child abuse and criminal clearances for children over the age of 14.
Types of Private Adoptions
- Kinship: When there is only one degree of separation between the adopting parent and the child, this is a kinship adoption. In kinship cases, home studies are not required. We will provide applications for necessary clearances, accomplish termination of the parental rights, finalize the adoption, and obtain your child's new birth certificate.
- Step parent adoptions: When a spouse wants to adopt their step child, this process is used. We will provide applications for necessary clearances, seek consent to adopt from the birth parent and accomplish termination of the parental rights, finalize the adoption, and obtain your child's new birth certificate.
- Second parent: When same sex partners are adopting a child, this process is used. Regardless of whether or not one of the parents is biologically related to the child, we will provide referrals for the required home studies, applications for necessary clearances, accomplish termination of the parental rights, if necessary, finalize the adoption, and obtain your child's new birth certificate.
- Identified private adoption: Identified private adoptions are an alternative to agency adoptions. These are often facilitated by friends, acquaintances or familial relationships. In this situation, we will provide applications for necessary clearances, accomplish termination of the parental rights, finalize the adoption, and obtain your child's new birth certificate.
- Private agency: Typically done through a private adoption agency, most families have already contacted their adoption agency prior to retaining us. The agency is responsible for matching birth parents with adoptive families, conducting the home study and obtaining the necessary clearances. We help with the adoption by terminating the parental rights, finalizing the adoption, and obtaining your child's new birth certificate.
- Interstate Adoptions:
- Birth Parent in PA: If the biological parents reside in PA and the child is going out of state, then we will produce the required hospital discharge documents, file documents with the Pennsylvania Interstate compact for the Placement of children office in Harrisburg, accomplish Termination of Parental Rights and Finalization of Adoption.
- Birth Parent out of PA: If a child is coming into the Commonwealth of PA then you will need an attorney or agency in the sending state to prepare ICPC documents and gain approval to come to PA. We will then provide Termination and Finalization, if applicable.
- Adoptions From The Heart
- Adoption Network Law Center
- Catholic Social Services
- All About Love Adoptions
- Open Doors Adoptions
- Rainbow of Love
- Lifetime Adoptions
- Haven Adoptions
- American Adoptions
Our attorney, Jay H. Ginsburg, has represented families in over 5,000 adoptions, and centers his practice around children. He provides experienced legal counsel to help you through the adoption process. To schedule your free initial consultation, please contact our firm or call 610-277-1999.
Jay H. Ginsburg, P.C.
527 Swede St
Norristown, PA 19401-4806
Telephone: 610-277-1999 | Fax: 610-292-8498
Map and Directions |