1. Home
  2.  → Foreign Adoptions

Proven Legal Help For Adopting Children From A Foreign Country

With over 25 years of experience, our office is familiar with the procedures that need to be followed to adopt a child from a foreign country.

There are three main scenarios in foreign adoption:

  • IR3 Visa: If a certificate of citizenship has already been issued for your child, you must register the foreign decree. In some cases a child’s name still needs to be changed or corrected. This can be done via the refinalization process.
  • IR4 Visa: We will work with you to refinalize the adoption in the United States and inform you of other requirements such as applying for a certificate of citizenship from the Department of Homeland Security of Immigration and Naturalization Service.
  • Adoption not finalized overseas: Several countries issue decrees of abandonment releasing children for adoption but do not finalize the adoption in their country. These foreign adoptions must be finalized in the United States. We will work with you to complete this process.

As you can probably imagine, adopting a child from a different country is often more complex than adopting a child from the United States. You will want an experienced adoption lawyer to help make your dream of expanding your family come true.

Making Name Changes

If you have already adopted a child and are interested in changing his or her name, we can help you through the process. This procedure requires that and advertisement be placed in the local law reporter and a newspaper of general circulation. Additionally, a fingerprint card must be obtained from the local police precinct. We also handle name changes in nonadoption situations of both children and adults, including same-sex families to create consistency in the family name.

Contact Us For A Free Initial Consultation

If you are interested in scheduling your free initial consultation, please contact our firm by email or call 610-672-7334​. We are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. All adoptions are done at a flat rate, though an additional advertising fee may be required if a birth parent’s location is unknown.